Friday, August 12, 2011

Sweet Treats

Known for outstanding seafood brought in fresh daily, I believe this established Philly restaurant serves two of the best desserts in the city!

McCormick & Schmick's is my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia.  I've been eating there with friends and family for years.  The restaurant is right in the middle of Philly; across the street from City Hall and surrounded by shopping, theaters, and museums.  The menu is printed twice a day; once for lunch and again for dinner.  They bring in the freshest and highest-quality seafood.  My family has been going to M&S for Thanksgiving dinner for a long, long time.   The dining room is open and airy with huge windows looking out onto the scenery of the city; but often when I dine there with a group of friends or with my family, we reserve one of their private dining areas.  These areas are off to the side of the main dining room and allow you to really enjoy your meal (and with my dining group and family, be as loud as we want without bothering the other patrons). 

I have had many of the different menus items at McCormick & Schmick's and have never been disappointed.  They do serve steak, pork, and chicken, but are famous for their seafood.  Some of my favorite dishes are the Maryland Crab Chowder, Blackened Catfish, Jumbo Sea Scallops, and Stuffed Salmon.  They serve their food with different sauces and sides that compliment the entree.  For Thanksgiving they serve a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but also all of their fresh seafood.  I usually get their Fish Chowder; which is a crock filled with different types of shellfish in a tasty broth.

And onto dessert...while I can't decide whether the Warm Bread Pudding or Upside Down Apple Pie is better, my friends Chris and Nancy will tell you it's the bread pudding.  We have learned through experience to go light on the appetizers and only have one piece of bread to make sure we have room for dessert!  The bread pudding is made with brioche bread,  vanilla custard, bananas, and pecans all covered in a light anglaise sauce and served warm.  I promise you, it is worth every single calorie!  It is so decadent and rich, you'll want to run your finger around the bowl when you're done, just to get the last speck of this heavenly dessert!  It makes my mouth water thinking about it!  The upside down apple pie is ridiculous; it is made with cinnamon covered green apples, baked in a candied walnut crust which is drizzled with warm caramel sauce and topped with a scoop of cinnamon ice cream.  It is so delicious; it's tart and sweet at the same time.  You can taste each ingredient in every bite, and together this apple pie is wonderful! 

I am not a "sweets" person; I would rather have a salty food than sugary.  But, I definitely make an exception when dining at McCormick & Schmick's - I make sure to leave room for dessert!  If you are walking around the city and want to stop for a drink and a snack, stop by M&S for dessert and a glass of wine!  What a perfect way to end a day of shopping or touring in Philly!

Home
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant
1 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA  19107
215-568-6888
www.mccormickandschmicks.com




Enjoy $5 Summer Movie Tickets
McCORMICK & SCHMICK'S SUMMER PACKAGE - DINNER AND A MOVIE!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say, I always enjoy your posts. Makes me just want to hop a flight to Philly for the weekend and just go restaurant hopping, lol.

Natural Nina said...

Hey Diane,

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant does have some great food! I haven't been there in a while myself, but your post made me think about their location in Atlanta next to CNN. Great atmosphere and great food, what more could anyone ask for?

Debby said...

Diane,

I saw M & S restaurant in Cherry Hill, NJ and was thinking of giving it a try. Now I know I will!! Or maybe now since your post I I will try the Philly location after a day of shopping since it is so close to home.

Anonymous said...

Do we really have to eat dinner or can't we just go there for the dessert?? My favorite part of the meal, and you were making my mouth water!