Monday, August 1, 2011

Garden of Fragrance and Taste

Don't judge this book by its cover...this hidden fine-dining establishment is really a classic!


The first time my dinner group visited the "The Rose Tattoo Cafe" we weren't sure if it was open or had closed down.  With blackened windows, the front door sits facing the street corner.  As we stood around trying to decide what to do, my friend Pat noticed a tiny little arrow pointing up the street.  The six of us walked up the street and found the entrance on the side of the building.  We all looked at each other wondering if this place was going to live up to its reputation.  Ahhh, what a pleasant surprise. 

As we went into the entryway there in front of us was a glass display case filled with desserts!  All you have to do is show a bunch of middle-aged women chocolate macademia fudge brownies and creme brulee and you've got them hooked!   The restaurant design resembles a cafe in New Orleans.  In the middle of the room on the first floor is a small bar with high stools.  Around the outside of the bar are private dining areas.  On the second floor there is a wrap-around terrace with seating for larger parties.  The entire area is lush with tropical plants and flowers.  Each dining area is separated by wrought-iron columns.  It makes you feel like you're sitting on a patio in the French Quarter on a warm summer day.

And the food is fantastic!  On one visit we started with the Crispy Calamari.  The calamari had such a great taste; I don't like when calamari is double-breaded.  I don't want to taste only the breading; I want to taste the calamari.  What a delicious appetizer that was; with three different dipping sauces.  I have been to The Rose Tattoo three times and each time I have gotten the Jambalaya for my entree.  While I do like to experiment and try different options at a restaurant, if I find that one special meal that no other restaurant can match - I stay with it (did you ever talk yourself into trying something different and then you end up disappointed?).  This Jambalaya is the very best I've ever had.  A tomato creole sauce surrounds fluffy saffron rice with chicken, ham, andouille sausage, mussels, shrimp, and clams.  There are so many flavors in this dish.  Its one of those meals that you "ummm" out loud while you're eating it.  This Jambalaya does have a nice spicy kick, but not enough to burn.  The lunch portion is enough for me, but the dinner portion is huge; enough to share with your special someone!
The Garden Room Bar


The Rose Tattoo Cafe
19th & Callowhill Streets
Philadelphia, PA  19130
215-569-8939

This cafe is perfect for a family gathering, a night out with friends, or a romantic first-date or anniversary dinner with your lovey!  And don't let the outside throw you - inside you'll find paradise!
  





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't had the chance to show my husband around Philly, yet. But when we make it back to Philly, I'm going to use some of your suggested restaurants and take HIM on a date because they amazing so far! I absolutely enjoy your blog!

Deb said...

This place truely is a hidden gem. It makes you feel as though your have been beemed (as in beem me up Scottie) to New Orleans - and the food is fabulous!